Gepsi logo

A Comprehensive Guide to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child

A Comprehensive Guide to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child
  • 12 Jun 2023
  • Gepsi

Every Canadian citizen, Registered Indian, and Permanent Resident of Canada want their loved ones to live with them, including parents, siblings, spouse, and children. IRCC issues various visas and sponsorship to bring your loved ones close to you.

In this blog, we will walk you through eligibility criteria, obligations, conditions, and crucial information to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child.

Who will benefit from this blog?

If you are a Canadian citizen, a Permanent Resident of Canada, or a Registered Indian who is 18 years or above and want to sponsor your:

  • Spouse or common-law partner living with you in Canada & their dependent children
  • Spouse or common-law partner or conjugal partner living overseas & their dependent children
  • Dependent Children

This blog will guide you on how to apply for sponsorship for Canada.

Read more about: Canada Spousal Sponsorship Immigration

Eligibility to become a sponsor

You must meet the following eligibility criteria to become a sponsor:

  • Must be at least 18 years old
  • Must be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian, or a Permanent Resident of Canada and living in Canada
  • If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must provide evidence that you plan to live in Canada once your sponsored relative becomes a Permanent Resident of Canada.
  • Must be able to show Income Documents that you can provide basic needs

In most scenarios, there is no low-income cut-off (LICO) to sponsor your spouse, partner, or dependent child. If you meet LICO requirements, you must include a Financial Evaluation IMM 1283 form with your application to sponsor.

Note: Permanent Residents of Canada living outside can’t sponsor someone.

Obligations as a Sponsor

You must sign an undertaking agreement when you agree to be a sponsor, promising to give your spouse or partner & their dependent children financial support for their basic needs for everyday living and healthcare needs.

Before signing the undertaking agreement, ensure the people you are sponsoring shouldn’t ask the government for financial help. The undertaking agreement will stay in effect for the length of the undertaking period.

The signed undertaking agreement won’t be cancelled in the following scenarios:

  • The sponsored person becomes a Canadian citizen
  • You have financial difficulties
  • You or the sponsored person moves to another province or country
  • You become divorced or separated, or the relationship ends with the sponsored person

However, suppose you change your mind about canceling your undertaking after submitting the sponsorship application & undertaking agreement. In that case, you must write a letter to IRCC before they make a final decision on your file (application) & submit your letter online through IRCC Webform. The undertaking can only be withdrawn after IRCC approve it.

Note: The Length of the undertaking agreement is three years from the date your spouse, conjugal partner, or common-law partner becomes a Permanent Resident of Canada.

For the dependent children, the length is three years as well if they are older than 22. However, if they are below 22, the signed undertaking will be ten years or until the child becomes 25 years old, or whichever comes first.

Situations in which you can’t sponsor

There are specific scenarios when you can’t sponsor, and they are:

Immigration Loan

If you got transportation, assistance/right of permanent residence fee loan & have missed payments, you can’t sponsor due to the default of your loan.

Previous Sponsorship Undertaking

Suppose you have sponsored family members in the past who have received social assistance or welfare from Canadian Government while undertaking was valid. In that case, you can only sponsor once you have repaid the full amount or the debt to the satisfaction of the Canadian Government Authority that issued the benefit/ordered you to pay.

Payment Obligations

You can’t sponsor if you were ordered by the court to make support payments to a spouse or child which you haven’t made. In this scenario, you must wait until the support matter is resolved.

Conditions for Sponsoring

For the Spouse

You can sponsor the spouse for Canada if your Marriage is a legitimate civil marriage. The Marriage should be legally performed in Canada, and if outside Canada, then the Marriage must be legally valid & recognized in the country where it took place.

For Common-Law Relationship

You can sponsor your common-law partner for Canada as long as you have been living together or lived with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship.

For the Conjugal Partner

You can sponsor a person who is your Conjugal partner and living outside Canada. You must be in a Conjugal relationship with the Conjugal partner for at least 12 months. However, you couldn’t live with your partner as a couple & didn’t marry due to beyond-control situations.

Note: If your spouse or common-law partner has a study or work permit in Canada, they can continue to study or work till their permit is valid. It is illegal to study or work in Canada without authorization from IRCC.


After reading the blog, you will be clear about the eligibility criteria to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, obligations, conditions, situations in which you can’t sponsor, and the length of the signed undertaking in different scenarios.

However, if you have any questions or need assistance sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, feel free to contact us.

At GEPSI Immigration Services, we have assisted 100s of clients in sponsoring their spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child. We have been in the Immigration Business for 25 years.

We have tie-ups with local authorities in Canada, and our Director, RCIC Member, actively participates in Visa processing cases to ensure all the required documentation and paperwork is ready to speed up the process.

We have one of the most highly skilled and professional Visa experts with immense experience handling complex sponsoring cases and proficiently tackling them to assist the client with the best resolution and outcome.

For a consultation with our Visa Experts on sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, call us at + 91 96620 55876 or email at

Inquire Now
Subscribe Now